A voyage of discovery : made under the orders of the Admiralty, in His Majesty's ships Isabella and Alexander, for the purpose of exploring Baffin's Bay, and inquiring into the probability of a North-West Passage.
FIRST EDITION. Quarto, 25 plates, some folding, 15 with hand colored aquatints, several charts, most folding. Contemporary polished tan calf, gilt filets and tooled in blind to boards, raised bands in gilt to spine, black leather labels, lettered in gilt to spine, decorative spine compartments. Bookplates to front pastedown. Colored endpapers.
Colored plates in order:
- 1. Gardie House, the residence of William Mouat Esq.
- 2. Passage through the Ice, June 16th, 1818.
- 3. A remarkable Iceberg.
- 4. Island of Disco and Icebergs.
- 5. Kallie, a Woman of Greenland.
- 6. A remarkable Iceberg.
- 7. Crews of the Isabella and Alexander. Saving a passage through the Ice.
- 8. Cape Melville and Melville's Monument.
- 9. Perilous situation of the Isabella and Alexander, Aug 7th, 1818.
- 10. First communication with the Natives of Prince Regents Bay.
- 11. Arctic Highlander. Ervick, a Native of Prince Regents Bay.
- 12. Crimson Cliffs. A view of coloured snow.
- 13. Petoowack. Formation of an Iceberg.
- 14. View of the Islands in Wolstenholme Sound.
- 15. Coburg Bay, Cape Leopold & Princess Charlotte's Monument.
- 16. Cape Byam Martin, Possession Mount, and Cape Fanshaw, discovered Sept 1st, 1818 by H.M.S Isabella.
- 17a. Sir George Hope's Monument and Land, on the North side of Lancaster Bay
- 17b. Lancaster Sound, as seen from H.M.S. Isabella.
- 18a. A Sledge Dog of the Arctic
- 18b. Head of a White Bear.
- 19. A Bear plunging into the sea.
- 20. Xeme.
Location: Online Only