Heroes of the plains, or, Lives and wonderful adventures of Wild Bill, Buffalo Bill, Kit Carson, Capt. Payne, Capt. Jack, Texas Jack, California Joe, and other celebrated Indian fighters, scouts, hunters and guides including a true and thrilling history of Gen. Custer's famous "last fight"
This is the rare first edition of James Buel's classic publication containing tales of cowboys, outlaws and Indians as well as what pioneer life was like in the old American Wild West. The work provides biographical accounts of the exploits and adventures of notable figures like Buffalo Bill (1846-1917), Wild Bill Hickock (1837-1876), as well as illustrating events like the Battle of Little Big Horn (1876) and other important Indian battles and wars.
The pictorial cloth cover is illustrated with gilt decoration. 5.75" x 8.25".
612pp. Color frontis. plus fifteen color plates and numerous in text illustrations
Rare first edition.
Howes B934. Jennewein 110.
List of Images
1. Book Display I
2. Book Display II
3. Front Cover
4. Title Page
5. Illustrated Title Page
6. Wild Bill and the Cinnamon Bear
7. Wild Bill's Fight with the McCandless Gang
8. Wild Bill's Duel with Conquering Bear
9. Wild Bill Killing Black Kettle
10. Wild Bill's Fight with Fifteen Soldiers
11. Punishing a Bogus Character
12. Assassination of Wild Bill
13. Buffalo Bill Wins the Championship
14. Ambushing the Indians
15. Buffalo Bill in Close Quarters
16. Death of General Custer
17. Buffalo Bill's Duel with Yellow Hand
18. California Joe at the Stake
19. California Joe Attacked by a Panther
20. The Murder of Mrs. Blinn
21. Back Cover
Location: Online Only