The Great Southwest : Along the Santa Fe
This souvenir booklet was a promotional brochure for the American Southwest published by the Fred Harvey Company for the Santa Fe Railroad. It was designed to showcase the various hotels, restaurants and shops along the way and help galvanize the tourist industry in the region. View a world long since gone with brilliant chromolithographs based on photographs of the old American West featuring Native Americans, landscapes, railroads and more.
An older edition (possible 4th), the first edition was printed in 1914.
Oblong Octavo. 8 x 10 inches (29 x 22 cm).
Purple cord tied/stapled illustrated wrappers embossed with mounted pictorial onlay of "The First Santa Fe Train". 67 pp. 32 color plates with descriptions.
Heavy wear to front cover and spine edges.
List of Images
1. Book Display
2. Front Cover
3. Title Page
4. Spanish Peaks, Colorado
5. Gateway, Garden of the Gods, Colorado
6. The Snowy Range near Trinidad, Colorado
7. Raton Tunnel, Highest Point on the Santa Fe
8. Apache Canyon between Las Vegas and Lamy, New Mexico
9. El Ortiz, Lamy, New Mexico
10. The Alvarado, Albuquerque, New Mexico
11. Indian Building, Albuquerque, New Mexico
12. Interior Indian Building, Albuquerque, New Mexico
13. Elle of Ganado-Indian Building, Albuquerque, New Mexico. Most famous weaver among the Navajo.
14. Decorating Pottery, Pueblo of Isleta, New Mexico
15. Pueblo of Laguna, New Mexico
16. The Old Church, Pueblo of Acoma, New Mexico
17. Petrified Forest, Arizona
18. Canyon Diablo, Arizona
19. San Francisco Mountains, Arizona
20. In Apache Land, Arizona
21. Apache Warrior, Rio Navaho, Arizona
22. Grand Canyon, Arizona, Looking Across From Yayapai Point
23. Grand Canyon, Arizona, Sunset From Hopi Point
24. The Hopi House, Grand Canyon, Arizona
25. Interior Hopi House, Grand Canyon, Arizona
26. Arizona Afterglow, After Painting by Fernand Lungren
27. Mirage on the Desert, Arizona
28. Needles Mountains and Colorado River, California
29. Mystic Maze of the Mojave Indians near Needles, California
30. Ascending Cajon Pass, California
31. Cajon Pass at the Summit of the Coast Range, California
32. Redlands, California, View from Smiley Heights
33. "Old Baldy" From Smiley Heights, California
34. Yosemite Valley, California, General View from Artist's Point
35. Juan Capistrano Mission, California
36. Back Cover
Publisher: Published by Fred Harvey, Kansas City, MO.
Location: Online Only