Views in Palestine, from the original drawings of Luigi Mayer : with an historical and descriptive account of the country, and its remarkable places
Work originally issued in 6 parts, with the volume originally published separately and subsequently issued as v. 2 of a 3 volume set, along with Mayer's "Views in Egypt" and "Views in the Ottoman empire, chiefly in Caramania", the whole issued in 1804 with collective t.p. "Views in Egypt, Palestine and others parts of the Ottoman Empire"
In addition to the magnificent views of cities and ruins, there are many plates of ethnographic interest depicting native costume. Diplomats were in an ideal position to contribute to the spread of knowledge about the countries they visited. Although he was in many respects an amateur, Sir Robert Ainslie compensated his lack of training with his enthusiasm as an orientalist. He was the English ambassador in Istanbul from 1776 to 1792 and became a particular favourite of the Sultan Ahmed IV.
He availed himself of his position to assemble a large collection of ancient coins from North Africa, Eastern Europe and the Near East, many of which were published by Domenico Sestini in Leghorn. Ainslie also employed a draughtsman, Luigi Mayer from Rome who had been a pupil of one of the greatest artists of his day, Giovanni Battista Piranesi. In 1792, before accompanying his patron back to England, Mayer toured Egypt, Caramania and Palestine and executed many of the fine drawings.
(447 x 320 mm), 47 pp., English and French text
Illustrated with 24 hand colored aquatints after drawings by Mayer. The aquatints were probably etched by W. Watts. Cf. Abbey. Plates have imprint: R. Bowyer, Historic Gallery, Pall Mall, 1803 [or] 1804.
Abbey Travel 369; Atabey 788; Blackmer 1099; Brunet III, 1557; Colas 2020. Gay 2145. Rohricht p. 339; Weber 1, 1101.
List of Images
1. Title Page
2. View of Jerusalem from the Mount of Olives
3. Remains of a Tower on Mount Zion
4. Jerusalem with the Church of the Holy Sepulchre
5. Pillar to which was affixed the sentence passed on our Saviour
6. A Maronite Monk & Pilgrims
7. Entrance to the Sepulchres of the Kings of Judah
8. Tomb of Joseph of Arimathea
9. Pool of Bethesda, Jerusalem
10. Fountain of Siloam near Jerusalem
11. Tomb of the Virgin Mary
12. Sepulchres of the Kings of Judah
13. Sepulchres of the Kings of Judah
14. Sepulchres of the Judges of Israel
15. The Sepulchre of Absalom
16. Tomb in the Valley of Jehosophat
17. Bridge over the Brook Kedron
18. Village of Bethany & the Dead Sea
19. Sepulchral Chamber near Bethany
20. The Principal Street in Betlehem
21. A Greek Caloyer
22. Subterranean Church of Bethlehem
23. The Sepulchre of Rachel
24. Reservoir of the Sealed Fountain near Bethlehem
25. Ruins between Ramah & Jerusalem