Sketches of African scenery, from Zanzibar to the Victoria Nyanza, being a series of coloured lithographic pictures, from original sketches by the late Mr. Thomas O'Neill, of the Victoria Nyanza Mission of the Church Missionary Society
Thomas O'Neill was a Christian missionary who published his account of the Victoria Nyanza Mission and travels in South Africa with colored illustrated scenery. The church played a pivotal role in the Colonial life in Africa. This work contains some of the earliest colored views of the region.
"The larger part of the letterpress is from a journal kept by Mr. O'Neill, not before printed. The Introduction if condensed from a fuller history of the Mission, lately published, The Victoria Nyanza Mission, Church Missionary House, Salisbury Square, London, E. C."
19 chromo-lithographed plates on 9 leaves. One uncoloured map set in text. Text foxed. A scarce work.
- 1. The start from Kikoka, 18th July 1876.
- 2. Village of Rosako.
- 3. Rapids on the Wami River.
- 4. View in the Nguru Mountains, near Mamro on the Wami.
- 5. View from the C.M.S. Camp, Mkundi River, Usagara, looking East.
- 6. C.M.S. Camp at Magubika, Usagara.
- 7. Panoramic view from the C.M.S. Camp, Mkundi River, Usagara, looking West.
- 8. Mpwapwa, in the Usagara Mountains.
- 9. View from the C.M.S. Station, Mpwapwa, looking West.
- 10. C.M.S. Camp in Western Ugogo.
- 11. Nguru, Capital of Usukuma.
- 12. Grave of Dr. John Smith at Kagei.
- 13. Repairing the Daisy at Kagei.
- 14. Grant Bay, Victoria Nyanza, from the Island of Ukerewe.
- 15. C.M.S. Camp and Building Yard, Bukindo, Ukerewe.
- 16. Entrance Gate to Bukindo, Island of Ukerewe.
- 17. Court House and Entrance to King's Palace, Bukindo.
- 18. Marketing at the C.M.S. Camp, Ukerewe.
- 19. Wreck of the Dhow.
+ Read More
References: Bobins 106
List of Images
Publisher: London, Church Missionary House
Date Added: 2019-01-09