A View of the Botanic Garden House and Reach
This is plate 4 from James Baillie Fraser's 'Views of Calcutta and its Environs'. Fraser (1783-1856) arrived in Calcutta in 1814 and in six years produced these animated sketches of the busy city, published later as a collection of twenty-four superbly aquatinted plates.
One of two views of the river Hooghly, this one looks up to the Botanic Garden House on the left and the palatial country residences of Garden Reach on the right. The house, built in 1795, was the residence of the Superintendent of the Gardens, the great botanist Dr William Roxburgh. The gardens were established by the East India Company in 1786, through the efforts of Colonel Robert Kyd, its first superintendent.